07 April 2011

Faces Made for Radio

A funny expression I learned in my previous career was: that guy really has a face made for radio (A not so cryptic euphemism for ugly.) One of my favorite episodes of  That 70’s Show from season 3 called “Radio Daze” where Donna Pinciotti gets a job at a radio station illustrates my point. Golden throat DJ “Jerry Thunder” turns out to be troll, although he sounds rather godlike on the air. Jerry Thunder is played by Curtis Armstrong, best known as “Booger” in the Revenge of the Nerds movies.
I suppose that the casual listener is forced to draw a mental portrait of his or her favorite DJ; often times disappointed by a face-to-face meeting. More than once when listeners met yours truly they make an expression of disbelief because their mental picture didn’t jibe with reality. The inevitable, “Oh, you don’t look like you sound” would come up. I smiled, not fully knowing how to take the comment. Did I have a face made for radio?
Stay tuned
©2011 Neal Rhoden. My Aircheck Blog. All rights reserved.

No comments: