07 June 2009

The Spec Check

 Welcome to Gospel Aircheck! I’ve probably logged more hours in the production room than all my on air studio time and live remote appearances combined. I love the intricacy of audio production and have learned far more in perfecting a 30 second spot by tweaking all the elements that go into these sound vignettes than these other experiences. I was building a music bed and sound effects under a perfectly timed vocal track(s) into the wee hours of the morning following sometimes during my air shift. Most of these projects were aired but a few became what is known as spec spots. Spec is shorthand for speculative, a what if demonstration of what I could do, normally pitched to new clients. Most Radio and TV insiders are familiar with the term.

 Yet, I’ve created another concept that combines spec and aircheck known as the Spec Check. Having the station all to myself in the early days during some marathon session of brokered shows I decided to run some format scenarios. The most famous of these was combining then current Contemporary Christian with the popular CHR (Contemporary Hit Radio) secular format. It was a stretch for my voice talent though I had never heard this hyped sound unified with CCM. My real  J-900 shows from Savannah, GA, came close.

 Unfortunately, Christian music on the radio has had the most bland DJ’s on the planet. I wanted to change all this by making an audio presentation never intended to air kept in my personal archive. I am in the process of scoping (editing down to vocal breaks) these fake shows and will present these an episode of the podcast.

Stay tuned.

No comments: