03 March 2010

The Unwritten Rules

Now the mandatory first anniversary posting. Actually, a year ago I began this blog having been inspired by an old radio buddy's blog. He hasn't written a new post since then but I have labored on with two weblogs. No, I am not patting myself on the back. It has been difficult coming up with posts. Not for lack of ideas; inspiration strikes at inopportune times: at the market, while driving, etc. I have a small digital voice recorder that I occasionally carry around to capture ideas. My mission or purpose for writing changed. I decided to broaden its focus. Instead of just war stories from my DJ days I have thrown in more opinion and family life. I have begun sharing far more than I would have while on the air. Somehow my home life and career never crossed paths in what I would share on the radio. Regrettably some often humorous happenings never made the show. I edited myself thoroughly and often; one just didn't discuss his personal life with listeners. I was way too strict with my multiple restrictions. Through the years I have lightened up. The new Gospel Rewind Podcast is proof.

I am not referring to the obvious. The use of abusive speech; profanity and slander are never justified on the public airwaves. What I mean is the unwritten rules dee jays live by. Negative words about a sponsor, complaining about the station's management or coworkers were no-no's. Only the well paid shock jocks of the day could get away such behavior. It is common sense not biting the hand that feeds you. One time in my young career I shattered some rules, took a few risks, made fun of each other and the format, and had a blast.

Mylon LeFevre & Broken Heart were to appear in concert in my city at a local college in January of '86. It was very common in those days to trade airtime for free tickets. This was the one and only time in my career that free tickets were not offered to staff. Those among us were bitter towards the promotions company not Mylon. We loved his music and felt that the occasional freebie was compensation for our low salaries.The $15 fee for tickets seemed exorbitant. On this post Christmas aircheck in '85 a trio of us were on the same show making veiled references to the concert and being slighted by promoters. It turns out that it is one of my favorite airchecks. It was the one where I broke some unwritten rules, for sure. I truly showed my real personality not some Top 40 facade. It took me another six years to break away from the rules again two stations later. Tune in the non-conformist show below:

Stay tuned
©2010 Gospel Aircheck. All rights reserved.