01 June 2011

Tubes

Not to stir audio controversy, but sometimes older is just better. I grew up in the age of solid state electronics although, at the same time, appreciating the older tube tech that preceded it. I sound like a broken record but vinyl does sound better than Mp3 or any number of the lossy digital formats around these days. Even now the Compact Disc itself is considered an old technology.

Tubes 5-24-2011 8-59-40 AM 4592x3056Lately, I’ve returned to my analog roots. I’ve perused local thrift stores hoping to buy good tape decks to playback my cherished cassettes, some of which are over 40 years old. Surprisingly, I have found a couple tape deck gems. Now my goal is a good reel-to-reel deck (fingers crossed). Don’t worry my CD’s are still safe.

As for the tubes versus transistors debate; I fall somewhere in the middle of the discussion. Tubes produce pleasant coloration. In guitar amps, tubes are the only choice. Solid State electronics sound clean, somewhat free of artifacts; much like digital audio seems too perfect when contrasted with analog. Recording engineers use tube electronics to give “warmth” to digital. It is the best of both. Is older or newer technology better? As long as one compliments the other, the answer is both.

Stay tuned

©2011 Neal Rhoden. My Aircheck Blog. All rights reserved.

No comments: