16 February 2010

Celebration Sunday

Before I get into today's post allow me to direct you to one of the new pages of this site. About a year ago I put together a small glossary of common terms used in the radio industry. Click on  the Gospel Aircheck Glossary in the side column should you need clarification on any technical word I sometimes slip into a post.

Sunday was a blast. I returned to my first audio love -- doing live church sound -- for the first time in a few months. I will chronicle my new journey here.

My day started around 7:30 AM Sunday with sound check and practice that paid off tremendously. Very talented singers and musicians made my job easy. Having the service planned out with a software program called Planning Center Online that delivers a detailed run down of all the songs, transitions and order of service via my e-mail in box. (Something I never dreamed of 30 years ago.)

One of my favorite things about working live sound in this modern age is the lack of feedback and noise in the audio. The church's Yamaha GA32/12 mixer is an intuitive design with loads of headroom and noise free operation. Additionally their DBX Driverack-PA+ is a device I have fell in love with for its unique ability to eliminate all unwanted squeals. This is one of the better equipment setups I've worked with. One thing I would like to introduce to the audio chain is a little light reverb on vocals; the space needs a some help to liven it up. Overall, audio coverage is excellent with Electro-Voice and JBL monitors flying above with massive Yamaha 3-way speakers and subs on the floor. I have a feeling we could rattle the walls with the sounds of praise.

DBX Driverack-PA+

Yamaha GA32/12

Stay Tuned

©2010 The Peanut Whistle. All rights reserved.