03 September 2010

Three Day Weekend

Wow! Friday already. “Everybody’s working for the weekend,” someone once sang. That may seem ridiculous if you’re reading on a Tuesday. Lately, I have been doing some research in history. Specifically, my own history. Back when I was a teen I kept a dairy spoken into a cassette tape. Listening to playback now makes me keenly aware of how I went about recording these journal entries was all wrong. First, I was perpetually stuck in the present. Every minute detail was recorded: what time I got up, what I ate for breakfast, how often I showered (on and on). Secondly, that overshadowed chunks of important details of the big picture. Of course, it was impossible to know at the time I would be listening to these tape 25 years later.

I refer back to these recordings often: when preparing the blogs or checking facts. The dairy survives to this day to jog my often poor recollections. It keeps me from embellishing—mostly. The disadvantage: unpleasant facts reemerge causing me to reopen old wounds. A quarter century is way too long to hold grudges. So, I have to mentally separate from the old me as though I don’t know the young man on the tapes. It keeps me sane.

Stay tuned

©2010 Neal Rhoden. Gospel Aircheck. All rights reserved

No comments: