24 December 2010

White Elephant


Tonight around our household we officially celebrate Christmas with some early gift-giving with the extended family: my younger sister, the nieces, my four, mom, dad’s two surviving sisters, and whoever else we can cram into the party. Of course there will be plenty of room at my youngest sister’s place. The deafening sound of all the little ones unwrapping their treasures simultaneously makes the place only seem smaller. 


My wife, Angie, was introduced to our clan’s frenzied attack of unsuspecting gifts some 9 years ago. Her family opens each present individually with quiet respect; each child taking his or her turn. How weird, it turns out my family are the strange bunch: go figure. Thankfully, I adopted her more sane approach with our kids when Santa’s surprises are unveiled Christmas morning.


For the adults, it is a relatively new tradition of a gift giving game called “White Elephant.” Each participant draws a number, keeping and trading wrapped items until satisfied to have found the most appropriate or valuable thing (higher drawn numbers are an advantage.) It is all in good fun. None of the items cost more than $10. This year my thrifty Angie is re-gifting; costing us zero.


Stay tuned



©2010 Neal Rhoden, Aircheck blog. All rights reserved.

No comments: