05 March 2009

Random musing


I’ve often thought I was born too late.  My tastes have mostly skewed to an earlier generation.  I loved the music of the 50’s and 60’s and 70’s even though I came of age in the 80’s. My parental influence can not be understated. I am grateful for the heritage they bestowed. Both Dad and Mom were blind. Music played a major role in their lives.

Mama’s natural talent was supplemented by a formal music education. Her critical ear is in my DNA through and through. I inherited her ability to hear everything at once. She can be on the phone, watching TV, conversing with those in the room with her, all at once with equal comprehension. 

Daddy grew up a preacher’s kid. His family were all song birds. They sang in church together as he developed a rich tenor.  He served the Lord all 51 years of is too short life as a singer and preacher of the Good News.

I never rebelled from them, much. They were cool. I did, however, develop my own tastes separate from my parents. I loved Contemporary Christian Music. It was tolerated in my home as a welcome substitute for the rock music I secretly listened to. Many Christian parents must have rationalized this for the youngsters that listened to my J-900 radio shows back in ‘86. As a parent now, I tolerate the music my teenager listens to. I'm thankful it's mostly Christian.

Church music of my kids' generation is praise and chorus oriented. I feel that it is weak as dish water and sounds like a few words strung together to a stock tune when compaired to the classics. I don’t mean let’s all sing hymns only. Just, where is this generation’s next Bill Gaither or Dottie Rambo or Andrae Crouch? I'm ready for some new classics!

Old fogey? Probably. Maybe I’ve matured. Nah!

That reminds this old man: What music will be played in Heaven? Will we all learn Latin and sing dirges eternally? I don't think so. Heaven's going to be a celebration!

"When we all get to heaven what a day of rejoicing that will be..."

No doubt, "Because He Lives", "Amazing Grace" and others from the hymn book. But what about the Imperial's "Praise the Lord" or Dallas Holm's "Rise Again"? I have had this string of thought for over 25 years. There are thousands of classics to choose from, not to mention other cultures and languages. All I know is that it will be better than we can even imagine! So a word to our up and coming composers: write prayerfully, spirit led, and as though your song will be sung by angels.

My little inspiration, my baby daughter is pictured above. My mother is teaching her first piano lesson.

No comments: