08 March 2009

WBKI

Skip ahead to 1992. It was my 10th year in Gospel radio. I had become a somewhat seasoned veteran of the game. My most recent gig in radio had been a disaster for me personally and professionally and tiny WBKI in Bremen, Georgia would be a fresh start. My previous radio home had been WDCY in Douglasville, Georgia. I was their program director and morning drive host for 10 excruciating months in 1990 and 1991. The Douglasville outfit had been full time Southern Gospel until their ill fated flirtation with Country music in February, 1991. WDCY had been purchased in 1990 by a non-Christian broadcaster who had no familiarity with the music tattooed to my spirit. He and I were like oil and water. Instead of trying to win this owner over to the Lord, I reacted in ways unbecoming a Christian. God delivered me from that situation along with two Christian brothers that worked with me in Douglasville at the same time.


These same two men were now involved with WBKI. One was the new general manager, the other a weekend DJ. As far as I know the entire staff there were Christians. What a difference in this situation!
Jesus was now front and center and not just a side line.

I did not hold an office. I was purely a DJ playing some music I loved and had a blast with some of the finest listeners ever. I stayed there only a year and made the hard choice of leaving following an ownership change in 1993. My buddy, the general manager, had decided not to buy the station and left during the transition. A fine Christian family bought WBKI and owns it now. It is now known as WGMI.

So what am I saying? Christian broadcasters should themselves be Christians. There is nothing worse professionally that to sell a product that the salesman does not believe in. Scan the dial to any Gospel format station and I assure you will be able to spot the genuine from the fake.

No comments: