19 January 2011

CR-48

Last month we touched on the new notebook computer that Google sent out to selected applicants, like me, as a test unit for their Chrome browser and operating system. Its official name: The CR-48.

Unwrapping the unit was a breeze. Safely nestled in cardboard, this 12” x 9” wonder immediately awoke (something Windows OS designers should learn to do). As a precaution, I plugged its handy charging cord into the nearest 120 volt outlet. Within seconds the little notebook has found my Wi-Fi connection and the World Wide Web is at my disposal. A monthly 100 megabytes of free 3G Internet from Verizon is included for on-the-go web surfers.

Its 12” screen (measured diagonally) displays surprisingly good resolution. The built-in speakers, however, sounded thin; lacking good stereo imaging (my CR-48 was biased to the left speaker for some reason.) A good set of Koss headphones solves this problem. Long time readers of Aircheck know my passion for good audio. The Chrome Notebook was designed exclusively for Internet browsing; I just wish more thought had gone into sound quality of the speakers.

I am impressed with the rubber non-slip finish on the little computer. Right away clumsy hands everywhere applaud. Battery life is, at least, 8 hours on a full charge (about a week on standby).

The Chrome Notebook surfs the Internet like nobody’s business. But that is all it does. It has an SD card reader and USB port for uploading your priceless snapshots to Facebook or blog, for instance. However, there is no photo preview. I find myself blindly choosing shots and having to delete unwanted photos only after they had finished uploading. Cruising YouTube is ok until the flash player crashes (which is often.) Lately, the sound card is crashing as well. Instead of the streaming audio I expect, the unit plays back a gravelly static with a persistent high-pitched, bell like ringing. I do not know whether this is an operating system problem or a manufacturer’s defect.

Technical difficulty kept me away from my main computer for the month, so the Chrome Notebook saves the day. Living with the CR-48 is cumbersome, at times. Designing Aircheck’s layout is impossible. Photo editing on-line is a joke. Recording and editing professional audio is not within its designed abilities.

Google’s idea is based on cloud computing; living exclusively on the Internet, storing all your files and memories God knows where. For now, Aircheck needs a more creative tool. I return to my “old” Windows Vista computer today. For now, it is an upgrade. My kids inherit the CR-48: better than a smartphone, not quite a laptop.


On the other hand, the Chrome web browser, which I have enjoyed since 2008, continues to be my hands-down favorite; better than Firefox, Opera, Explorer, or Safari.

Stay tuned

©2011 Neal Rhoden, Aircheck blog. All rights reserved.

No comments: