23 October 2010

The Sounds of "Praize"

Transitioning to a new job isn't always easy. Back in 1987 I began what would be a three year association with a 1,000 watt AM radio station in metro Atlanta, Georgia. At least three staff members had listened to and enjoyed my aircheck tape. Three interviews later, the job was mine. The station's morning man had resigned. They wanted the guy on the tape but vowed to retrain my voice. My contemporary hard sell DJ sound was too hot for their format. Ever the compliant one I took the show, adapted my style, and adopted the pseudonym, Jim O'Neal. "Jim" wound up sounding like a host on an NPR station or a somber funeral director. Ownership lacked the sense of humor I was accustomed to at my previous employer. What could I say? My salary was doubled, so I allowed them to mold me in their image. Branded as the Sounds of Praise, WSPZ strictly forced out any personality in Jim. I was dull on air. My Program Director saw to that. To this day many of the recordings made of my early shows there serve as an example of my "going through the motions" as a DJ; forced to be super-religious. Over my 3 year run I was able to re-evolve into my former persona, somewhat. Today's aircheck is from the '87 Christmas season, my first as newly promoted program director. (Even then, in a position of authority, I was forced by rigid ownership to play 100% Christmas music from Tranksgiving forward. This was before the time when stations commonly become Christmas formatted around the holidays.) Check out the example below.

Stay tuned


©2010 Neal Rhoden,Gospel Aircheck blog. All rights reserved.

No comments: