24 October 2010

Wisdom of Fools

Yesterday's post might have left the impression that Jim O'Neal didn't have any fun at radio home number two. Well, on-air we were made to be quite stiff. The format was strict. At the time the program director took herself way too seriously. In her spare time she came into the production room to record her voice reciting scripture and self affirmations for listening to later at home in "quiet time." Remember Stuart Smalley on Saturday Night Live, my program director, Kelley, was the female fundamentalist Christian counterpart of the beloved Al Franken character. She was only 8 years my senior, but acted as though she was a sage. 

It was in the very same production room that I was allowed to really let my hair down. I was 21 at the time and felt pressed to act much older in the control room. (I've learned that being serious is not necessarily the same as actual maturity.) Unlike what you heard in the previous post I enjoyed life. The real "Jim" is better expressed in the example below in a spot for a skating rink party my station presented back in 1987, surely considered too hot by Kelley's standards. Commercials like this one was my passive-aggressive punch at the establishment.

Stay tuned

©2010 Neal Rhoden aka Jim O'Neal,Gospel Aircheck blog. All rights reserved.

No comments: