03 October 2010

What’s in a Name

Often I wonder what direction this weblog should take. Do I write for a very specific, small, audience? Let’s face it the topics I tend to cover are not as popular as, say, cute cat videos on YouTube. Originally this blog was to serve as a companion to my podcast, Gospel Rewind. Good ideas for the show became hard to come by and I lost interest. Also, the podcast was supposed to feature some live performances from a few singers near to this blogger. I had great ideas but scheduling conflicts stymied every effort and I was forced to use exclusively archival material. Living in the past really has no appeal to me any more. Most likely, the podcast will cease production as a result.

Gospel Aircheck is a bit of a misnomer. I have not stuck to exclusively radio topics nor do I intend to do so. Broadcasting was a significant part of my life but I have been “retired” from radio longer than I was actually involved in it. I’ve lived my life in phases: for a while interested in my small artistic talents, then Christian radio, working on old cars, selling auto parts, and on and on. Sometimes these activities overlapped; but during my 13 year career in auto parts retail, I had maybe one or two passing thoughts of my previous career. No one who worked with me during this period had a clue of my life in gospel radio. In fact, I was fed up with the futility involving my love for a career versus reward. My first full year in retail I made more money than several good years in radio combined. Long story short, future posts will reflect my varied interests. More than 80% of my life so far does not involve broadcasting. I can say that music has been with me the entire time, regardless of the vocation I choose. Maybe this blog is due another name change, but to quote the Bard, “What’s in a name?”

Stay tuned

©2010 Neal Rhoden. Gospel Aircheck. All rights reserved.

No comments: