11 October 2010

Want Fries with That?

I began my radio career at a religious radio station in 1983  when I was 17. I started out as a button pusher at this AM/FM combo on the AM side in scenic Savannah, GA. Often the jocks from either station would leave to get lunch alternately while the other stayed behind to babysit the board late in the afternoon after the administrative staff had clocked out. It was my turn to buy lunch, so I left the place in good hands--or so I thought. Unknown at the time, I had improperly  threaded the Revox A-77 tape machine that was to play a 30 minute preacher show. The broadcast rolled and I was on my way to a nearby fast food establishment. By the time I was on my way back, listening via my car radio, to my horror the tape had been dragging to a stop—dead air! I arrived inside the studio to find my GM hovering bewildered over the board, tapping her foot nervously red with anger. She never said a word. I just knew I was fired. The only words I could muster were, "Want a McNugget?"  Well, I dodged a bullet that day and the incident wasn't ever mentioned again. Maybe my food bribe paid off. The preacher in question had called the manager at home (she lived within walking distance.) He was perhaps our biggest client and a perfectionist to boot who, incidentally, had a studio better equipped than our own within his church. To this day I don't know why I was spared the ax.

stay tuned

©2010 Neal Rhoden. Gospel Aircheck blog. All rights reserved

No comments: